Sunday, June 28, 2009

Aeolian Knitting Done, Trying New Things

Yes, I did finish the Aeolian shawl. A couple of irritating things happened on the bind off, such as a knot in the yarn, but it's all done. I got some pictures taken by John Francis of the finished blobby mess, and now that they are here, enjoy an unblocked photo:


Now, I will wait until blocking for the Big Reveal of it looking good! The blocking mats still aren't here, so it may be a few days.

In the meantime I have taken a little break and just for fun started a couple of projects. This is just a little scarf in a pattern called Modern Mermaid that I got from Hill Country Weavers. Suzanne the owner of the shop designed it. I knew what yarn I'd use on it the second I saw the pattern (designed for Berroco Seduce). I am making it from my precious skein of Tili Thomas Voile de Mer (silk and seacell). I am adding beads exactly the color of the yarn, and they are sort of tucked in next to yarnovers. I wanted them very subtle, like they just peak out. And that's what they do, so I marked them using my fabulous graphic design skills. You might be able to see them if you enlarge the photo. I was thinking of making this as a special gift. And I'm not sure how soon I will get to finishing it, since I will be back to the Lady Jane vest after my fun experimenting today.

The other new thing I couldn't resist trying is the lace entrelac shawl, Dianna, which I've been raving about for quite a while! I was all confused at first, but now that I have three rows done, I can see where the squares are supposed to go and I think it will zoom along now. I was also confused for a bit and thought maybe the shawl was just modular knitting, but now I am sure it's really entrelac. I can even knit backward on it, though I have to say purling backwards is not my best skill. It's rather heavy on the dark green at first, but the beads look nice. I showed you the yarn in my last post, some Noro Kureyon sock yarn. I think the beads add something to it, since it isn't as dainty in the sock-weight yarn. The thicker yarn is hard on my size 12 crochet hook--it keeps bending. I hope it makes it through the project!

Now that I got my urge to start new things out of the way (I spent three whole weeks totally dedicated to Aeolian!), I will go back to my lovely vest, in anticipation of the other yarn I ordered to make the second Lady Jane.

By the way, I am just putting in Ravelry links here willy nilly, assuming you all can see them. If not, I will always be putting in photos of my finished projects eventually, so you will see!

6 comments:

  1. One of these days I'll be trying the Dianna in some of my handspun, I think the long color changes will be perfect. In the meantime, I am going to learn from you! I am excited about the aeolian FO post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wonderful that your Aeolian is done,and you can start new projects. It is a good size and can't wait for its blocked glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really am full of envy that you completed the shawl. It looks fantastic even unblocked. L'Entreloc shawl looks pretty cools too. I just love that you're using natural yarns. The leaf motif will be extra special. It just seems like good feng shui to use natural yarns with a leaf pattern. How's the backwards purling coming along. Seems to me like you'd need three hands to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome to see that you got it done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the time and effort you put into the lace entrelac shawl. And thanks for posting the pattern on Ravelry.

    David Thomas MD
    http://knittingdoc.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. In response to Dr. David, I need to be clear that I didn't write the lace entrelac shawl pattern. It was written by Jane Araujo and is found here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dianna

    I do LOVE the pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!