Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Keeping My Fingers Crossed

I am still plugging along on the Aeolian shawl. No more huge mistakes (or even small ones) in the past couple of days. In the meantime, more than one of the KAL members has thrown in the towel on this project. It does require some counting, but I think that if I had done it in a quiet place I'd never have made my first mistake, and if I'd tried the nupps out on a swatch, I'd have realized they didn't look like what I wanted, and I wouldn't have had the horrible issue from the weekend.

I think perhaps the KAL should have been targeted toward more "advanced" lace knitters and that would have saved some tears. Of course, at least one person gave up just because laceweight yarn didn't work well for his hands. And I can understand that! I prefer fingering weight, myself, but this alpaca is not too bad for me.

Of course, the border is coming up. And that is one fancy looking border! I just have four more rows until the border starts. I am not sure if I'll be able to work on that at the yarn shop this afternoon, so I will take my other knitting, just in case. I look forward to seeing how the larger beads replacing the nupps in the border look. I am liking the ones in the agave section of the shawl, so I have high hopes.

I've been working on Lady Jane the vest whenever I have to go out and knit, like to Beccano's guitar lessons, so it is growing slowly but surely. I look forward to finishing that--nice big yarn, LOL!

I am going to ponder what makes some lace patterns harder than others for a while. Anyone have ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I am eager to see it, aeolian shawl is one of my most favorite patterns out there at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what makes some lace harder than others is when it's not a 6-stich or 8-stitch (or x amount) repeat. Then you have to pay close attention to the chart, and if you aren't very good at reading your knitting it can be hard to tell where you missed a YO. I know I've had to give up on some stoles (especially mystery ones!) because the charts were too complicated for me to enjoy myself without having a fit every five minutes! :)

    ReplyDelete

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!