Friday, August 8, 2008

Happy 08/08/08

I don't have any photos to share, darn it. I do have a new ball of yarn, but I haven't uploaded its photo yet. I got my Loopy Ewe Second Anniversary Kit in the mail this week, and the yarn that came with it is very nice. From the Handmaiden folks in Canadia, land of knitting. It's red, black and gray to match the company theme colors. I guess I was more excited about the Loopy Ewe temporary tattoos, which I hope to wear this weekend to the LYS, bead shopping with friends, and another mystery knitting day at the LYS. I don't really care what we make, since I'm just there to chat, anyway.

I am getting near the end of my initial two skeins of yarn for the Silky Kerchief that is now a shawl. I think it will need about a three-inch border to make it the length and width I want. I'm pretty sure the other skein of the rainbow colored Silk Garden Sock will be more than plenty to do that. I will look for a nice garter stitch border with just a few YOs in it, so as to not detract from the stripey main part of the shawl. I like the way a knitted border looks, and how it helps shawls drape and flow. The shawl I am wearing now (I am chilly in an air conditioned building) has a border with some fagoting on it, and it's awfully nice, though of course that would make for a more open looking edge. I'll see if one of the books I have features a similar border, since Jody made this one.

It was nice to get my Interweave Knits in the mail. It's too bad that, since Vogue Knitting always shows up in my mailbox ten days to two weeks AFTER it arrives in stores, and IK arrives BEFORE it gets to stores, I end up getting both at about the same time most issues. As usual, they are very different, but once again I liked more of the VK patterns than in the past. I doubt I will make much, other than some mittens, from either issue, due to all the heavy fall/winter items that just don't fit in well in Texas. I will have my heavy orange alpaca sweater to wear this fall (assuming I finish that last sleeve), so I already have one. I think I could use one more heavier cardigan, though...

On my to do list: subscribe to Interweave Crochet. If future issues are as good as the summer one, I'll want them!

On my not to do list: Any Olympics-related yarn activity. Man, the Olympics just started and I am already sick of reading who has knit what. I think, for me, knitting is where I try to NOT bring out my competitive side. I don't want to beat any one else, or even compete with myself. Of course, assuming I get time to watch, I will knit through the Olympics! Just it will be on my shawl, my crocheted cardigan and the socks I need to finish!

Kudos: Huge kudos to Lime & Violet for coming up with their new series of yarns, which are advertised as perfect for prayer shawls. They put intentions right into the dyeing process, even writing words like "peace" on the yarn to be dyed. Of course, the words only show up as little dots in the finished yarn, but you can be reminded of what you are supposed to be thinking about every time you see a dot! Sheri at the Loopy Ewe has some pictures and more details. I just think this is a wonderful concept, and if you know me in person, you will realize this is right up my alley. Of course, I see myself doing a lot with this idea! I have been finding lately that intention, focus, and attitude really DO make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!