Friday, September 12, 2008

Sock Knitting Meme


I am sure glad Floderten!strik posted this on her blog, since I won't have anything to really show you until I knit a few more rows on Shalom.(And do check out her blog--she is a great writer with wonderful wit and insight, especially considering that she has just started her university studies and is not a native speaker of English.)

I have been a bit preoccupied with life this week, so I didn't get as far along on Shalom as I would like. I am on the bottom border now! There was high school open house to go to, a rehearsal for an upcoming gig (locals: Tuesday the 23rd at BB Rovers on 183 near Oak Knoll, at 8 pm there will be almost an hour of me and my friends trying to sing harmony outdoors in a smoky loud environment on equipment that is not ours. Whee!). And of course there is a distracting hurricane that thankfully should miss us, but has the roads and hotels all crowded with refugees. I bet we don't even get any rain, sigh. But I am hoping for the best for those down south.

Anyway, here is the meme:

When did you first learn to knit socks? I first learned some time in the 80s, when I made one sock but found it too complicated, so I figured it was beyond me. Silly me.

What’s the first sock you ever knit? Ravelry tells me my first socks, depicted above, were made in 2003. My friend Nancy Jo and I learned together. The pattern is Adult Basic Socks by Deirdre Wallace. I was hindered greatly by my choice of perhaps the darkest sock colorway ever, so I could not see the stitches very well. So, there are a couple of "interesting" holes in it (I think they are where I messed up transitioning from one DPN to the other.) And I misunderstood the heel pattern, so it is plain. That's OK, I got it on the next sock and have not stopped since.

Favorite Sock Pattern? That is like asking who is your favorite child! I am really liking the one I am working on right now, Celebratory Chevrons, which was the Loopy Ewe first anniversary pattern.

Favorite needle method? One sock on magic loop. However, I have done the last few two at a time, since I like finishing them both at the same time. I don't "hate" any method, though.

Favorite sock needles? US 0 or 00. This is because, as we recall, I knit a bit loosely. This is the equivalent of a 1 or 2 for "normal" people.

Who do you knit socks for? Mostly me, though I made a few for a friend once, and have done them for my sister, Lee, Lee's dad and the daughter of a friend.

How many pairs have you knitted to date? BWA HA HA HA HA. Let's say "a lot." OK, I counted on Ravelry and there are 71 listed there. I think there are some I didn't photograph before giving away, but that is a reasonable estimate.

What is on your sock knitting to-do list? I want to make something with my shiny yarn with silver in it, knit with Panda Soy (I love to try new yarns), do at least one "new pathways" style sock, and successfully complete a fair-isle style sock in two colorways, since my last try didn't work. Oh, and entrelac socks. I just need to stop on other things and make the pattern I have!

What kind of socks do you like to knit-
Striped? Yep. That is all I did at first.
Colorwork? I need to work on not getting them too tight with my floats. Like I said above, it is on the list.
Plain Stockinette? Occasionally, especially with very colorful yarns. It's a nice rest.
Cabled? Yes, though I find single traveling twisted stitches annoying after a while.
Lace? Probably my favorite.
Anklets? I made one pair and I like it a lot. I will probably make short socks out of my Panda cotton, when I get to it.
Knee Socks? Not so far, but I have seen a few really nice patterns. It is just too hot here.
Solid colors? I like semi-solid ones best. Most solid colored sock yarns are too glaringly colored for my taste.
Bright and crazy? Fraid so. Even if Lee hates them. I like looking at the colors when I am iknitting.
Faux Fair Isle (the yarn doing all of the work)? I have made a few and have yarn for more. I like them fine as everyday wear.

Tag a few sock knitters here: As the blog I stole this from said: Consider yourself tagged, sock-knitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!