Friday, January 16, 2009

An Inspiration

Today I found in the back of my closet this old vest that my step-mother gave me a long time ago. I think it's from the early 90s or 80s, because it is quite square. I was looking at it while thinking about some technical writing task at work, and I realized how they'd made those stripes.

The garment is knit in reverse stockinette. The yarn is a cotton that has been dyed indigo. The stripes appear to be the same yarn in two natural shades. What they did (see close-up) was weave the light yarn through the every other purl bump for a few rows, staggering the weaving so that it makes quite a nice basketweave effect. And at the bottom of the sweater, they did little decorative squares.

The third picture I am posting shows the back of the work, which is also nice looking. It might be used in a garment, too. I wouldn't tie knots in MINE if I did it.

I got lots of ideas for using this weaving in garments. It sure livens up reverse stockinette! I might try it on a mitten, since the extra yarn would add warmth, and it is so tightly woven it wouldn't catch on your nails or anything. Or, of course, a vest would be great. Perhaps in one of those organic yarns in a natural dark brown with a natural off-white stripe. Hmm. I have some yarns like that.

I'll put this idea on the back burner and let it simmer (wow, what a boring cooking metaphor, sorry). If you have any ideas for other ways to use this technique or have seen projects using it, feel free to post!

4 comments:

  1. I liked the idea of using huck-weaving patterns to make designs on the sweater. I think that it would be easy enough. Think about how a design would look on a pair of mittens or a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gives me all sorts of great ideas, Deana. I am so glad you thought of it. My family did a lot of huck weaving and I still have a few towels my mom or aunts did. Let's find some patterns and try something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could also try some blackwork designs. I'll see what ones I have and if they can be adopted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally Melville has an early book out where many of the designs are done like this; I think it's called "Sally Melville Knits."

    It's not as good as her knit stith, purl stitch books, however. Doesn't have her warm happiness enthusing the book.

    ReplyDelete

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!