Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Lost Weekend

Well, it feels like a lost knitting weekend to me. I planned to work on two simple socks, and my pentagon bag. I thought I'd get a lot done on a three-day weekend of easy knitting.

HA! I was so wrong! But, that brings me to why I started this blog. I didn't want to be one of those "look what a great knitter" I am people who churn out stellar designs right and left at a prodigious rate. I wanted to chronicle the ups and downs of a good knitter, but not necessarily a great knitter. I thought I'd enjoy reading later how I progressed on some things, and perhaps learn from my mistakes or challenges. And thought others might learn, too. So, this post will tell about some mistakes and what I did about them.

The Disco Cololori Sock

So, I have mentioned working on socks for my sister in Fortissima Disco Colori. Here is a link to the yarn and colorway if you want to look. I am making them at 68 stitches, because she has a wider foot than I do. I thought I ought to put in a gusset, since she also gets swollen ankles/feet, so they would go on easier. I made a ten stitch gusset, knitted a very deep short-row heel as a result, then decreased. And when I put it on...ooops, it was for perhaps a size 10, not a 7.5-8 US women's shoe. And it was big. So, I ripped out the whole heel. Sigh. Then I knitted a heel from the point where I started the gusset before. Oops. Now it was too short. Then I read, duh, that the foot should be around 6.5 inches before starting the heel, not 6. So I ripped again. Then I said, "Hmm, maybe I should try this other way of doing short rows..." which resulted in holes. So I ripped a third time. the fourth heel HAS to be fine, because the poor yarn is TIRED and getting a bit frazzled looking.

But, as you can imagine, this all took a lot of time. I feel like I actually only accomplished one heel in three days.

The Man Sock #2

At the same time, I also started the second pair of Man Socks, the one that really WILL go to Lee's dad. I am again using worsted weight yarn and the Thuja pattern from Knitty. I decided the gauge was a bit loose for my taste, so went down a size in needles to US 3. I thought maybe that would make them too tight, so I added a repeat, to 48 stitches around instead of 44. I knitted the ribbing and about two inches of sock. Then, hmm, they looked big. Lee tried them on. Argh. Big (and his dad is a skinny farmer fellow). So, I ripped them out and started again. Now they are fine. But again, it doesn't LOOK like I made much progress for a 3-day weekend!

All the wrapping of unraveled yarn caused me to actually look at the ball band, which I had not done when I found the yarn hiding in the 50% off rack at the back of the LYS. I had mostly noticed it was a manly medium brown and it was pretty soft. And it said it was "Aran" weight. I did NOT see the word "acrylic" on the label. I figured we didn't sell that stuff, ha ha. However, I only spend $2.80 on it when my discount kicked in. And it IS soft and a nice color. Here's a link to its information--Supersoft Toddler Aran by Sirdar. Says it is "100% Courtelle" on the website, whatever THAT is.

I decided it's fine--acrylic keeps you very warm, and Lee's dad's feet get very cold. So, another lesson learned: please read the yarn label even on sale yarn.

The third yarn I chose for his socks is a medium blue and made from wool. I'll post what exactly it is, later. There isn't as much of it as there is the Cascade or Toddler Aran, so I will do those toe-up in a simple 2x2 rib and stop when I get to the end of the yarn!

Pentagon

No photos yet, but I am progressing on it. There's just a lot of knitting around and around in the top of this bag (in lovely turquoise bamboo!) so I can only do so much at a time. I think just another inch or two and I will make the drawstring casing. Then I can show it to you.

3 comments:

  1. Suna, I feel your frogging pain. I had to rip out my entire cardigan (2+ skeins of Cascade 220 is A LOT of knitting) due to my damn tight knitting. It was just too small. One of these days I'll learn to do a gauge swatch...

    Sorry I didn't get to ye olde LYS this weekend, I was a bit under the weather.

    Hopefully I'll see you on Wednesday!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear Suna... I so recognize this. You think you have loads of time for all your plans and slowly but slowly time goes on and your projects do not really make progress. So there's nothing I can do but make an encouraging nod.
    And by the way, my very first sock was knitted with Fortissima Disco (colour 03 :-)! That yarn is really expensive in your country. Next time you want European yarn, you should order it at European shops (German or Dutch, but German are the best). The shipping costs are an easy profit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a matter of fact, I do order a lot of commercial sock yarn from Europe, usually Astrid's Dutch Obsessions. I just got a LOT of Opal and Trekking from there.

    ReplyDelete

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!