Wednesday, June 4, 2008

D'OH!

Lest any of you think I am some kind of brilliant knitter, let me tell a tale about myself. I spent much of the day yesterday at the LYS trying to finish the main pieces to the Sideways Cardigan. I was triumphantly finishing the right side, and held it up to the left. What did I see? The confusing instructions had bitten me in the butt, and I had made the sleeve on the left side half a repeat too short. D'OH! I greatly amused my LYS friends by calmly ripping out the top of the left side and starting to add the half repeat, but every minute or so sighing very audibly (it was a slow day in yarn world, so very quiet).

I am happy to report that I finished it AGAIN, and sewed all the pieces together (I did a darned good job of matching the sides, too, so it looks nice. It does seem like it will fit, too. Now I just have to make the buttonhole band, block or at least press it, and find two big buttons. Lee's asked that I not use an "ugly wooden button" like in the magazine photos, so I may go get an inexpensive pair of white ones, then when I have time get something nice. Pat the LYS owner has a huge button collection, so she's going to see what she has, too.

Shelda has asked in the comments if I can share the stitch pattern. Well the cardigan patterns are in the VK Spring 2008. What I did on the socks was tweak one of those slightly.The top of the foot is 32 stitches:

Row 1: K1, *[P2, YO, K2tog, P1, SSK, YO]*, repeat between * until last 3 stitches, P2, K1
Row 2: K1, *[P2, K5]*, repeat between * until last 3 stitches, P2, K1

The bottom of the foot is stockinette.

When I get to the leg, I will add a twist going up the sides using the two K1s at each end of the needles (using magic loop).

I worked on the socks a little last night. When I finish the cardigan, I'll focus on them and, yes, believe it or not, finishing my orange alpaca cardigan I started in January.

Today I am meeting my friend Tina and we are going to visit the Gauge Knits store, which I still haven't been to, because last time I was out of work and tried to go there I picked the day they are closed. I'll try again!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Suna can't wait to see your finished sock .Hang in there work will get better.I had to leave my job because gas was to high .
    lol
    Shelda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suna, is the pattern confusing? (if it's confusing for you it certainly will be uncomprehendable for me)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mean the sideways cardigan? People say they have trouble with the shoulder shaping, mostly. There is a LOT of help on Ravelry, though.

    ReplyDelete

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!