Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Weekend Mystery Knit


Homely Square
Originally uploaded by sunasak
We had a Mystery Knit Afternoon at the yarn shop on Sunday. I mainly went because some of my friends were coming. It ended up that only a couple were there, but there was the bonus of meeting some new people, which made it better.

There were, um, a couple of organizational issues, so things went slowly. Like the instructions got lost on a dead computer, so they had to be retyped, leading to some "interesting" products. I started knitting one patter, realized the instructions didn't work, and decided my brain was just not up to figuring out what it was supposed to be. Instead, I crocheted the last pattern, which had a pre-printed chart. Unfortunately, it required me to crochet a square in predominantly single crochet, using a variety of novelty yarns. Many of these yarns weren't really suited to that. I ended up with the thing you see here. Well, it's so ugly that I just gave up on making part 2 of the project and went back to help with the snacks (followed by eating them).

This square is supposedly the flap to a makeup bag. It's in Berroco Suede, mostly. I think I will unravel it and use the rest, plus the coordinating color I also got, to make coasters. That yarn makes a fine coaster.

I ended up leaving early, but I did enjoy the chatting aspect of the event, and was really feeling for the organizer, who was just having a bad week. Sometimes things just pile up and everything you do just doesn't seem to go right. I have a LOT of sympathy for that! So, I hope I was able to help.

Meanwhile, back at home, the Olympics have proved themselves to be their usual prime knitting opportunities. I have really moved along on the silky kerchief border. I actually think I have a reasonable plan that will make it end up balanced, and end at the end of the pattern. We will see how it goes when I get to the point of the shawl. By the way, it appears that it will be a medium-sized one, not as large as some I have, but not tiny like Swallowtail or the original pattern.

I also have gotten some work done on my Tie Dye Hawaiian Leis socks, which are almost to the heel. The colors are balancing out a bit better, whew. And while I was working on them at lunch yesterday, a woman asked me about them. She may drop by later in the week so I can help her remember how to cast on, so she can make more scarves. That will make both me and her happy--I love to help out!

I hope you are all having a nice week. My week has improved, because it rained a bit AND I survived a dental cleaning. I'll keep posting away, and hope to hear from some of you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!